Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Kojima speaks...

Of course I watched the Tokyo Game Show (TGS) trailer the day the HD direct feed was out. Simply WOW!!! This game will really just tie all the lose knots in the Metal Gear Saga. I just can't wait for it to be released.

After being blown away by the Halo 3 review, I was browsing Gamespot when I came to this article. I don't know why I wasn't emailed about this from Gamespot. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I check Gamespot like 3-4 times daily!

If you haven't played the full MGS series, then don't bother reading the Gamespot article, for you it will be full of spoilers and jargon. In MGS you have to know who is who.

The article fully explains the SOP thing which was first revealed in the E3 trailer this year. SOP stands for Sons of the Patriots. A nanomachine system that was injected into all soldiers from Private Military Companies or PMCs. The purpose is to achieve total real-time control over battlefields by the Patriots. With this, the Patriots have supreme control over everything. The SOP system allows for integration between soldiers as if they were one unit. This was shown by the unit commanded by Meryl Silverburgh. They are not PMC, in fact they are anti-PMC. The problem with PMCs is that they have grown considerably. Their size has grown to rival the size of the US military.


Enters Liquid Ocelot...

Since Revolver Ocelot became possessed by Liquid Snake's arm which was transplanted to him, he started to act and think like Liquid. Liquid wants to destroy the Patriots, for revenge. So, he organized an insurrection. He forced Naomi Hunter, the original creator of the nanomachine technology first used by Snake during the Shadow Moses Incident, and the creator of FoxDie, to control the soldiers from PMCs and raise a huge army to make the vision of Big Boss true. He wants to create Outer Heaven... The one place where soldiers will always have a place.

Enters Solid Snake...

He is once again recruited by Colonel Campbell. Col. Campbell works for a UN organization, the purpose of which is to monitor PMC activity. He knew about the insurrection and he sent Snake to assassinate Liquid.


The best thing about MGS is the plot twists. You never know what's going to happen next. Since this game is a continuation to Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, then I hope it will have a highly convoluted and engaging story. I didn't like the fact that they over-simplified the story for MGS3: Snake Eater. I still liked the story a lot, but I wanted more twists! MGS2 made me crazy!!!

EVA returns in MGS4 as a 80 year-old woman, but still looks powerful, to combat the Patriots. She is called Big Mama. Kojima said that the name is indicative to something. I wonder...

As shown by numerous trailers, Vamp returns. He looks more dangerous than ever. I hope that Snake (or Raiden) gets to finish him once and for all.

There is a rookie in Meryl's squad. He is called Johnny and he looks to have some intestinal problems. I don't know who he will be. I thought he was Raiden in disguise. Maybe he is the young Snake shown in last year's TGS trailer.

And finally, there is the battle between Solid Snake and Liquid Ocelot in Metal Gears!!! Snake is using the old Metal Gear REX, while Ocelot is using Metal Gear RAY. I think it will be a spectacular battle. Something for the ages...

Solid




VS




Liquid

No comments: