Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Man Who Wasn't There: I love B&W

Hello, dear readers.

I was going to write a boring intro for this blog as this is the first post. But I thought it was too much work and instead I watched a movie.

It was the Coen Brothers' The Man Who Wasn't There. Simply amazing, and this comes from a guy who has seen a lot of film-noirs. It captured the feeling, that strange feeling that you felt when you see Humphrey Bogart on the screen.

The story is pretty normal, but it's the storytelling and acting which are amazing. Billy Bob Thornton did a very good voice-over. He has this strong, sad and gritty voice that is typical for the role. I like this guy.

The rest of the cast were good, especially James Gandolfini (The Sopranos). Music was mostly piano sonatas by Beethoven and some jazz. Cinematography was great. I saw the original, theatrical B&W version, not the coloured one (which I own, but I don't think I will ever watch). Lighting and smoke were perfectly captured on screen. I hate cigarette smoke and smokers, but this time I didn't mind it: Thornton smokes in almost every scene of the movie. It gave me ideas!

This is not the first Coen Brothers movie that I have seen. I saw Miller's Crossing, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, The Ladykillers and Fargo. I think I may need to watch Miller's Crossing and Fargo again, as those were the ones that I really liked and I haven't seen them in a long time. I still have to watch Blood Simple and The Big Lebowski.

Anyway, it was a nice movie: 8/10. Recommended if you want to watch a modern stylish movie in B&W.

Best quote:
"Me? I don't talk much. I just cut the hair."
-
Ed

No comments: